While we live on earth, we acquire mere glimpses of the wonder and beauty of God; we cannot fully know or understand His majesty and greatness because we are covered by our own sin and limited physical nature. Although God made us in His image, mankind is marred by sin and can no longer wholly reflect God’s character. At best we show glimpses of what we should be and what we will be someday when we are healed and perfect before God.
This study is built on the recognition that while it is impossible to reach perfection in this life, God desires us to grow in godliness on the journey. We are here to reflect His image and glory to the world around us through the power of God’s Spirit.
This semester we will examine the lives of biblical characters who show glimpses of the godliness that the Father desires for each of his children. We will encourage one another and support one another as a community of believers striving to grow in godliness, knowing that living out God’s character is the best place for us to be.
My prayer for you as you work through this study is from Philippians 2:12-13: “Continue to work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure.
1. Because you were originally ________________& ________________to____________God
- Made in God’s _______________ (Gen. 1:26-28)
- But now _____________________ by sin (Gen. 3:1-13)
2. Because you were ____________ in Jesus and should increasingly ____________like him (2 Cor. 5:17; 3:18; Phil 2:12-13)
- as you __________ to ___________ (Gal. 2:20)
- as you _____________ your _____________ (Rom. 12:1-2)
- as you ______________ on the ____________ (Jn. 15:4-5)
- as God ______________ you through ________ _______________________ (Rom.8:28)
3. To _____________ what Jesus is like to your ______________ (2 Cor. 2:14-16)
Lesson (Daily Edification, i.e. D.E.) will be discussed at 1st group meeting……